Social Listening Topic 1 Snapchat

Topic 1: Does Snapchat Listen To It's Users


For this blog topic I decided to choose Snapchat because not only do I use it, but I know that many, many other's enjoy using snapchat also.

I would describe Snapchat's V.P. as, "Share your world, everywhere you go, anytime", or even, "Shape your view, learn more and share with a Snap". I'd probably go for the second one, considering Snapchat has made a fair amount of changes that enhance the quality of use.

Some things that people have been discussing about Snapchat include the following ideas:

 First, what is it and why is it so popular?

When Snapchat first came out, people weren't really sure what the point was, but as I found in a blog on Digg, a quote from TechCrunch (media source), explained the benefits of why it's so fresh: "Snapchat is one-on-one communication, more personal than texting or emailing, as the content disappears. It's the closest technology to a phone conversation or, gasp, real life interaction. . ."
When I first started using Snapchat I didn't really get it. Why would you want to send something for just a few seconds? And whats up with these stupid filters? But then I got it. It became quicker than a phone call and funnier than a simple picture. It gave the user the power to create their own influence and share it with their friends.

It's easy to use, and Quartz puts it perfectly : "Learning to use it takes less time than microwaving a burrito". In the article that Quarts wrote on Snapchat, you find a variety of perspectives regarding adults. One of which is that the ability and ease of "snapping" doesn't just have to be for the younger generations because of it's realistic sharing speed, and it's quick-to-learn set up.
I didn't personally find it, self-explanatory however, and even as a younger person found myself asking my friends how they are able to save pictures, or save their own videos, or even use the filter. But apparently, they all knew how almost immediately after the new effects came out.

One of the things that came to a surprise to me in Snapchat, was the addition of it's News Stories, which are found my swiping right and scrolling down to browse through a variety of celebrity, world, or political news stories. Personally, I enjoy this area because as someone who often avoids news, I can pick and choose what I want to look into, and there is a good variety to choose from! From a variety of articles I found from the Independent , it seems as though Snapchat is becoming a key competitor with Facebook - and vice versa- as well as securing a spot in the news market. I think this is because of the ability for users to capture moments live, and submit them to not only their friends, but also Snapchat, which gives critical stories a broader spectrum- and even allows some stories to be found and made into what they actually are.

Aspect in Snapchat that relate to marketing have to do with how they created something that they're users really enjoy being apart of. It seems as though they haven't had a huge hiccup where they've had to do crisis-management yet, but it is obvious to see how although Snap may have started marketing more towards teens with it's flashy filters and cute ghost icon, it has broadened it's market to older generations by using the sentimental ability of sharing with your close friends and or loved ones, as well as the educational aspect of having it's news column. It's definitely marketing a more personal, in touch experience, that changes and keeps the users interested and engaged.

If I were the brand manager, I would probably be pretty stoked right now, and making moves very similarly. However, now that I'm thinking about it, since I've had glitches with Snapchat in the way that it seems to be overloaded and freezes up, I would definitely look into why the app seems to freeze on pictures or black screens, and find a way to change it. However, that may just be because of it's popularity. Seems like, as a brand manager of Snapchat, I would continue to try new things and introduce them to the users- so far it seems like people are very pleased with the variety of aspects in Snapchat.


Comments